Saturday, June 20, 2009

Brief Report from ACNA College of Bishops Meeting

I decided to drive to Bedford early. Once I got here, I took a shower, then headed over to St. Vincent’s Cathedral to see if anything was going on there.

There indeed was. The College of Bishops meeting was just breaking up after meeting for most of the day. I saw REC Bishop Ray Sutton and Bishop Iker in what appeared to be serious conversation. And I saw Southern Cone Bishops Venables and Lyons, so they are participating at least as observers.

I joined some of the bishops for Evening Prayer (TEC 1979, Rite II . . . Yes, I know. Don’t get me started.) They are meeting later for dinner at a steakhouse I won’t tell you about (and won’t crash either).

Unfortunately, I don’t think I will be able to tell you much more about the College of Bishops meeting. It’s bishops only. No observers (except maybe for their spouses, but I’m not even sure about that.) And I understand that.

I do know they elect the Archbishop tomorrow, presumed to be Bishop Robert Duncan.

I did introduce myself and have a nice conversation with Bishop Duncan. He’s very approachable and friendly.

By the way, pray I don’t gain 10 pounds during my week here. There’s a Pappadeaux practically next door to my hotel. Yummmmmmm!

No comments: