Thursday, June 25, 2009

ACNA Assembly Random Notes

I’m still a bit sleepy and foggy after a late night last night. It was an excellent service. Even hardened journalists were impressed.

If you see us Reformed Episcopalians puffing out our chests a bit today, it is because our Presiding Bishop, Leonard Riches, was the Senior Bishop Presiding in the service and administered the oaths to ++Robert Duncan.

Metropolitan Jonah of the Orthodox Church in America is a brave and honest man. He made clear yesterday morning that he desired communion between his church and The Anglican Church in North America. But then, in going through barriers to communion, he proceeded to gore the oxen of just about every party among us -- Calvinism (“a condemned heresy”), women’s ordination, bare sanctuaries and empty crosses (“iconoclasm”), reluctance to affirm all 7 Ecumenical Councils, the filioque, Marian excesses, and more. I don’t know if there was a single foot in the tent he did not stomp on. Like I said, brave man. But I and most greatly respect his honesty.

The Dallas area is having the hottest weather of the year so far, above 100 degrees. Even to this South Texan, it has felt like a furnace. Fortunately, a shower cooled Plano – to the 90’s – before the service yesterday evening.

I went to a favorite spot in Plano for dinner before the service and had the good fortune to be invited to join Bishop John David Schofield and friends at their table. He is very relaxing and pleasant company, and I greatly enjoyed my dinner with them.

This assembly has been about much more than church business. I know I’ve been challenged to pick up the pace of my ministry. And I am sure I am not alone.

2 comments:

CMWoodall said...

Mark,
I don't feel like His Beatitude Jonah 'stepped on my toes' at all. You are right, he is courageous and clear. I plan to pray diligently [Lord willing--to labor] for the unity he has offered.
I was not a little sickened by ++Bob's squishy response both after the speech and at the installation.

Ann McCarthy said...

I loved the Beatitude's comments. He did probably say something that bothered each one there, but he got several standing ovations. What I was impressed by was his clarity - he treated us as fellow grownups - not minimizing the issues, but laying them out as he sees them so that we can begin the work of coming together. Some of it will take miracles - but we are a people who believe in those.