Monday, February 18, 2008

“I don’t believe in a multicultural society.”

So says Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor. And so say I, too.

Now I have no problem with a society being enriched by different cultures. I enjoy Mexican food here in Texas and curry in England. And when the Choir of King’s College Cambridge comes to Dallas on April 3rd, I will be there. And I won’t be holding up a sign that says, “POMS, GO HOME!”

No, what I have a problem with is really multiculturalism that thinks every culture is equal and should be fully accommodated and has no problem destroying a nation’s culture to do so. And, of course, non-Western cultures are even “more equal” ala Orwell.

England, among other Western nations, is tasting the bitter fruit of multiculturalism. At least now, people are seeing that and opposing multiculturalism is becoming more acceptable and not as automatically credited to “racism,” xenophobia, and the like. I suspect ten years ago the Cardinal’s statement would have been considered quite shocking. Not so today. Certainly, Rowan Williams’ Sharia comments have aroused more open opposition to self-destructive multicultural madness.

No-so-by-the-way, it seems the leading Cartholick bishop in England is more sensible than the current Archbishop of Canterbury. And that’s good – or not.

No comments: