Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Live on Election Night!

Well here goes with the live blogging. I can promise it will not be orderly. I will blog what most grabs my interest on this important night. And, remember, it’s my blog, and I’ll rant if I want to.

A few polls have closed, but no results that stand out to me just yet.
5:21pm CDT

---

Something encouraging and possibly very important. Most of the indications I’ve seen so far today, which are admittedly very anecdotal, indicate that Republican areas have turned out to vote today more than Democrat areas.

Now come whispers that exit polls indicate that turn out gap may be more than anecdotal. I don’t rely on exit polls at all, but still . . .

In Delaware, the Coons camps has expressed concern about their turnout, for what it’s worth.
5:34pm

---


The early House results are encouraging so far. As Nate Silver notes, the Republicans are kicking some rear in Indiana. And in Virginia 11, Griffith is looking good against Boucher so far. The fivethirtyeight cheat sheet has this as one that would indicate a big red night. Virginia 5 (Perriello-D vs Hurt-R) is very close so far though. And Republicans were supposed to pick that one up.
6:49pm

---

Virginia 5 isn’t so close anymore. Hurt-R is up by about 10,000.
6:53pm

---

Fox has already called Marco Rubio a winner in Florida.

That brings back one of those small memories that stick in the mind for some reason. I was out slowly driving down Flour Bluff when I heard the radio talking about Crist appointing a crony to keep the Senate seat warm for him. Crist winning that Senate seat was a foregone conclusion back then. And I felt resigned to that outcome. It put a damper on an otherwise pleasant night.

Wow, how things have changed. Crist is not just losing. Crist is history, he has so alienated people with his orange chameleon act. Good riddance. And thank you, Marco Rubio!
7:06pm

---

Those of you who see the early returns from Texas 25 and Texas 27 and think Lloyd Doggett and Solobama Ortiz are going down, don’t get too excited. In 25, the People’s Republic of Travis Co. (Austin) hasn’t reported any numbers yet. In 27, most of the votes are from Nueces Co. where Farenthold-R would be expected to do well. And the returns are quite early in both.

If the Demorats do lose these, believe me, I will let you know. I will be more excited than a Pentecostal.
7:40pm

---

Grrr. The State of Texas election site has gone down. Heavy traffic I’m sure.

And is it me, or is the Fox coverage boring and tedious?
7:46pm

---

Whoa. Fox just called the House for the Republicans with a gain of around 60 seats.

FWIW, I am not that confident just yet.
8:13pm

---

Well, NBC has projected a 58 seat gain. Hmm.

North Carolina is not participating. Don’t see any red gains there yet although Price-D vs. Lawson-R is close for now. By the way, David Price was a prof of mine at Duke. No, he was not that good.
8:23pm

---

Toomey-Sestak in PA is worrying me. It would be sickening to lose that one.

I also fear America is becoming even more divided. Unless I’m missing something, the Northeast is not riding the Republican wave.
8:37pm

---

Looking at Texas 27, I’m thinking if Solobama Ortiz holds on to his seat, he will have Libertarian Ed Mishou to thank – the idiot.
8:42pm

---

In PA 11, I’m surprised to see Kanjorski-D go down by a substantial margin. He is a long time incumbent and not that obnoxious. Even I almost like him.

I might have spoken too soon about North Carolina. In the 2nd district Elmers-R vs. Etheridge-D is very close.
9:17pm

---

Folks, I think Blake Farenthold will beat Solobama Ortiz in Texas 27. The early vote totals are finally all in. And Farenthold is up by over 4000 in those. On the election day vote, Democrat Cameron Co. has not reported. But only two precincts in Republican San Patricio Co. have reported. So it is looking good. This would be quite an upset.

Ortiz was first elected in 1982.
9:29pm

---

In Nueces Co., Texas (Corpus Christi), two Democrat state House incumbents may be going down. One of them is Solobama, Jr. If the Ortiz machine would come crashing down tonight, it would be a beautiful thing.

But Solobama Ortiz, Sr. is doing very well in Cameron Co. Farenthold leads Texas 27 by just over 1000 with most of Cameron Co. still out. Most of San Patricio is still out as well and will offset some of the Cameron Democrat vote.
9:43pm

---

Toomey just took the lead in PA! Up by 4000 with 85% in. 11,000 now with 89% in! Rural PA may be putting him over.
9:47pm

---

House Budget Committee Chairman John Spratt (D-SC) goes down. You think not actually putting out a budget might have hurt?
9:53pm

---

Mark Kirk taking the lead in Illinois now. Maybe the Mafia won’t get a senator after all.
9:55pm

---

Toomey’s lead is over 30,000 with 91% in. Yes, I am excited about this!
9:59pm

---

Ugg, Fox projects for Boxer. California should be ashamed. Disgusting.
10:00pm

---

Just heard Elko, Nevada is having trouble with long lines. I think Elko is Republican. So maybe a good sign for Angle. That Nevada race has me nervous by the way. Reid is not called Dirty Harry for nothing.

As for Texas 27, the results seem stuck. I haven’t noticed new numbers in almost a half hour. The Libertarian has just under 5% of the vote. Again, if Solobama Ortiz squeaks through, you know whom to thank.

I doubt I will sleep well tonight.
10:20pm

---

I haven’t said much about it, but I soooooo want Patty Murray beat. I have detested that baby-killing Leftist for decades. *calms down* Having said that, she is ahead by over 40,000, but King County (Seattle) has already reported. So there is hope.
10:37pm

---

Wow. Kasich came from behind to win the Ohio Governor’s race.

In MO-3, Ed Martin has pulled narrowly ahead of Russ Carnahan. Robin Carnahan got beat in the Senate race. I would love to see the sleazy Carnahan family wiped off the political map.
10:56pm

---

FINALLY, some more numbers came in on Texas 27. The good news: Farenthold has increased his lead some to over 2000 votes. The bad news: San Patricio is all in, and no new numbers have come in from Democrat Cameron Co. And this is South Texas folks. Remember Duval Co. and Landslide Lyndon? Democrat Counties which are slow to report make me nervous.
11:02pm

---

Fox has joined AP in calling PA for Toomey. Yea!
11:12pm

---

Democrat State Reps Abel Herrero and Solobama Ortiz, Jr. have indeed been beat in Corpus Christi, Texas.

And Fox has called Illinois for Mark Kirk (R) over Giannoulias (Mafia). That was Obama’s seat. Rove rightly points out that Illinois Democrats have only themselves to blame for not holding a special election earlier when Obama was more popular.
11:20pm

---

Fox projects Nevada for Harry Reid. Disgusting.
11:30pm

---

Russ Carnahan (Scumbag) has pulled 500 votes ahead of Ed Martin in MO-3 with 97.1% in.

I don’t trust myself to comment further on that at the moment.
11:34pm

---

By the way, I will personally fight a bail-out of California tooth and nail. They keep electing big spending liberals and expect us to pay for their profligate ways? To hell with that.
11:41pm

---

Well, I’m going to bed I think. Cameron Co. is still out in that TX-27 I’m sad to say.

But to end on a happy note, Buck has pulled ahead in Colorado as the rural AMERICAN votes are coming. For a while there, he, Kirk, and Toomey looked to be in trouble. It looks like all three are pulling through.

Hold on. . . .

BREAKING: According to the Texas State site, all precincts are now in and BLAKE FARENTHOLD HAS BEATEN SOLOBAMA ORTIZ in Texas 27! With Solobama Jr. losing earlier tonight, the Ortiz Machine has come crashing down!! I’m going to sniff around and verify. . .
11:57pm

---

Yes, every precinct has indeed reported and Black Farenthold just tweeted, “Its official. I won by 799 votes. Thank you everyone!”

What a sweet upset! I will sleep well after all.
12:01am

1 comment:

RobBnTX said...

There is something fishy about the results in Nevada, Reid brought in union goons to save this for him and I wonder just how corrupt this all got to be in the end.