Friday, April 27, 2007

The Quiet Before the Storm

After the Episcopal House of Bishops gave their ringed fingers to the Primates and the Tanzania Communique, the Network was strangely quiet. A few were alarmed by that quiet, but I suspected and word later confirmed that there were consultations going on before a statement.

But the quiet has continued. And I was about to post that I’m getting concerned about that . . . until I came across this from Fr Dan Martins. (The 4-26-07 post. I would link directly to the post, but the direct link makes my browser quit!)

He reports there are strong rumors that five Network dioceses are about to leave the Episcopal Church. And he is convinced the rumors are true. If so, things are about to get . . . interesting.

He’s not very happy about this. He prefers a more moderate ACI style of working from within the Episcopal Church. But as you can guess from my No Safe Place posts, I don’t think there is any place for the orthodox in the Episcopal Church anymore for a number of reasons. It’s hard to say what is the perfect timing for orthodox Episcopalians to leave, but I suspect sooner is better than later.

And we may be about to find out that five dioceses agree.

No comments: