Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Abomination of the Week

Nothing seems to bring abominations out of the woodwork like Christmas. To make money, merchandisers hawk all manner of iniquity and in all sizes, too. After all, “nobody ever wished for a smaller holiday gift.”

To bring shame and condemnation upon such, the Ship of Fools is taking nominations for their Twelve Days of Kitschmas competition.

Already among the nominations are such stand outs as the Miracle Eyes Jesus, the Jingle for Jesus Tamborine, and Jesus Paddle Balls.

Among such a multitude of abominations, it is hard and thankless work to chose just one as the Abomination of the Week. But one rises up above the others:

The Christian Nation CHRIST-mas Tree

“Celebrate Christmas American style.” That’s right! Christmas is all about patriotism and waving the red, white, and blue. Why Baby Jesus waved an American flag in the manger.

Hmm, I think I just got an idea for a manger scene that would SELL!

4 comments:

Carson Clark said...

"'Celebrate Christmas American style.' That’s right! Christmas is all about patriotism and waving the red, white, and blue. Why Baby Jesus waved an American flag in the manger."

Love the satire. Hilarious. Have you ever heard of (evangelical historian) Mark Noll's book entitled 'Christian Faith & Political Action in America'? If not, I cannot recommend it highly enough. As a top-notch historian and a man of devout faith, Noll is fair in his assessments but concerned for the Church.

Carson Clark said...

Oh, hey, I was wondering if you'd be willing and/or feel comfortable including my blog on your links section to the right? Obviously it's your blog so I won't be bothered if you decline, but I'm trying to get networked with other Anglicans. Whatever you decide, thanks!

Anonymous said...

There's been a serious abomination in Canada:
http://www.anglicanessentials.ca/wordpress/index.php/2010/12/08/imam-reads-from-koran-at-installation-of-huron-dean/

RECCHIP said...

Mark,

I looked at all of the ones you mentioned and also some of the ones listed on "Ship of Fools."]

The only one I would (and might!!) order is the RWB Christmas Tree. It appeals to my "joint loyalty" both the the USA (aka The Greatest Nation in the World!!) and to my King Jesus Christ. I never have and never will see any conflict.

I am a proud Christian American!! (Note that means I am an American who is a Christian!! -Sometimes people want us to pretend we are Christians who are also Americans.)