Monday, May 24, 2010

Pentecost Communion in Three Kinds

Holy Communion at my humble parish yesterday was very meaningful. As I waited to receive, I reflected that, as if giving Christ’s body and blood were not enough, the Lord also gives us His Spirit. This gave me a deep awe, and joy, and peace.

Receiving yesterday also had an element of humor, if I may be slightly irreverent. The rector’s very young son (2 or 3 years old, I forget which.) held the sacrament, which his father intincted and placed in the child’s mouth.

But that was not enough for the him! He held out his hands to the wine, and drank from the chalice as well. The pious child received in three kinds!

(And in case anyone is tempted to nit-pick the rector’s on-the-spot decision, even I think a sacramental irregularity is preferable to an unhappy small child during communion.)

No comments: