Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Yet Another Open Letter to the Dean of King’s College Cambridge

Dear Rev. Dr. Stephen Cherry,
This seems to a time for open letters, does it not?  So I thought I would throw mine in, which I hope you will find more supportive than Dr. Paul B. Rimmer’s.
First, I want to thank you and King’s College for how you have enriched me.  And that not only through Choral Evensong, although that is wonderful enough, but how you all (Sorry. I’m Texan.) have been accommodating far beyond the call of duty in a number of ways.

One example: Some years back, I asked to be able to visit the Chapel to study and photograph the windows as part of my studies.  Not only was permission granted, but the entry fee was waived although I did not ask for that. Further, and this also without my asking, I was invited to visit the College library and study relevant documents there.  In that and other ways through the years, I have found King’s College most hospitable and accommodating.
I say that because I am confident that if Dr. Rimmer would have approached you before that Trinity Sunday, you would have been most glad to make arrangements suitable to his family while still respecting the service and those attending.  I’m sure you would have come up with an excellent experience for the boy and family.  (And I have a special place in my heart for autistic children due to personal experience.)
I am also confident that your staff would not ask anyone to leave Evensong unless disruption was out of hand.
But instead of showing consideration and exercising common courtesy (which is becoming less common nowadays, it is not?), it appears that Dr. Rimmer showed up with his child who, by Rimmer’s own admission, expresses himself in ways that are “often loud and uncontainable.” Further, “there is no realistic way for him to be quiet.”  So he knew frequent disruption was likely, yet he willfully presented you and your staff with a difficult situation anyway – not to mention those attending that Evensong. 
And you have received much undeserved criticism for how that was handled on the spur of the moment.  I cannot help but notice that much of the criticism comes from those who dismiss Evensong at King’s as a concert disguised as worship.  Most of these have never attended.  And, yes, I very much worship when at King’s, and am thankful for that.  Also, many of the critics display contempt for those who attend to worship and/or enjoy the music.  Dr. Rimmer appears to be among the latter with his attitude that he has the right to “[lessen] the satisfaction of certain tourists around the world who attend.” 
I admire your grace to Dr. Rimmer and to others under such undeserved criticism.  At the same time, I urge you not to allow such people, who hardly respect the rich tradition of worship and music at King’s nor respect those who wish to experience it – many at great traveling expense – please do not allow such people to pressure you, your staff or the Director of Music to diminish the worship at King’s, whether that be by allowing frequent disruptions or in other ways.
But you have surely heard enough advice already.  Again, though I come from a slightly different churchmanship, I greatly appreciate you and King’s College.  I hope I am not too forward by thinking this a time to say that openly.
May God bless and guide you and King’s College.
Warm Regards etc.

No comments: