Tuesday, February 18, 2014

10th Anniversary: Averting the Wrath of God

With Septuagesima Sunday, the Pre-Lenten season has begun.  To avert the wrath of God against all ungodliness, we finally got around to putting away the artificial tree in the parlor.  (If the parish had listened to me, we would not have put that thing up in the first place, but anyway . . . )

At home, I put away my Epiphany lights.  Yes, they were Christmas lights, but I decided to keep them up though Epiphany season for the first time this year to help ward off seasonal disorder.  I think it helped.  But with Septuagesima, they had to go.

Which reminds me that one of the helpful things about this humble blog is I have assisted wise readers in averting the wrath of God against all liturgical abominations.  For example, I have sternly advised not to light the Paschal candle beyond Ascension Day with the warning of what might happen if you do.  (Sadly, the original links to the smiting is as defunct as the offending candle.)

In any case, cleanse your house and church of any lingering Christmas and Epiphany observances post haste!


But I will say it probably is not necessary to go quite this far in observing the Pre-Lenten season.

No comments: