Thursday, April 07, 2011

“The mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.”

Those who follow my twitter feed (And if my ranting amuses you, then you must follow.) know that yesterday morning I got fed up with the usual Democrat lies that pop up every time someone tries to bring about some fiscal responsibility. I’ve heard “Grandmas and their grandchildren will die in the streets!” for 30 years. But, for some reason, yesterday I just had enough of it.

So last night at Evening Prayer, it was comforting that the Psalm was a favorite of mine, Psalm 63. The last word has long resonated with me: “the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.”

At diverse times, it is good to be reminded that truth will prevail in the end. God will stop all lies and silence all unrepentant liars. As Psalm 37 and Psalm 73 remind us, anger at evil can become so strong that it can lead us to evil as well. So being calmed by remembering that God will deal with evil men who refuse to repent is a good and helpful thing.

Some may find the imprecatory passages in the Psalms disturbing. But it is good to know that God also is angry at sin and, unlike us, will deal with it in perfect righteousness. We can therefore calm down and trust in him and in his timing in doing so.

I certainly needed to do that yesterday . . . among other times I’m sure.

No comments: