You may have noticed last week was not a very good week for the Obama Administration (or for Hillary). The unraveling of Benghazi accelerated as I suggested it might two weeks ago. But the admission, apology even, from the IRS that it targeted tea party political groups could be more damaging in the long run. Here’s why.
1. Whereas one has actually to pay attention to the world to know what Benghazi is, pretty much every American knows what the IRS is. The scandal is easier to understand and hits closer to home for most people.
2. It is a proven undisputed fact that the IRS targeted conservative groups. The IRS itself admitted it Friday. The only question is how high up did it go. And that question got a lot more interesting Saturday.
3. There is already a cover-up exposed, by AP of all people. Whereas we were told Friday it was just low level people with no political motivation (SNORT!), now it is reported that the Chief Council knew what was going on . . . in 2011. And if the Chief Council knew then surely then IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman knew . . . and then lied before Congress on March 22, 2012. That’s not to mention Lois Lerner’s statement on Friday is already shown to be a lie.
And I don’t want to hear any Lefty spin that Shulman was a Bush appointee. So what if he was? Bush made his share of bad appointments, and this is one of them. And Shulman being a Bush appointee makes it that much more likely that the impetus for targeting conservatives and then covering it up came from higher up still. Heck, he even looks like a sniveling worm who does what he’s told. Evil regimes have always been well served by spineless amoral people who “follow orders.”
4. The anger over this is liable to become nuclear fast if it is not there already. People despise the IRS. And the IRS targeting people and groups for political ends is just not tolerated by semi-reasonable people. Nixon was about to be impeached for this (among other things, of course). Even the Washington Post is indignant and critical of Obama for not getting up front on this.
There is a reason this is not tolerated. It is the stuff of totalitarian governments and banana republics.
5. With this scandal already reaching to the IRS Commissioner at the time, we are very soon reaching the point where all but Obama sycophants and the chronically asleep will conclude that the White House was involved or at least encouraged this. And even if he didn’t know, the IRS is part of Treasury which, of course, is under Obama (which is why I've pointedly titled this post "Obama's IRS".) He is responsible if that word can be used about him. Even if Obama is never directly implicated, the political damage could turn him into the lamest of lame ducks.
By the way, doesn’t his admonition just the other day not to listen to voices warning of tyranny now look that much more lame? Right under him, the IRS was using its enforcement powers for political targeting, even of those “educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights.” Those, such as your humble blogger, warning of tyranny and even of the Obama regime’s totalitarian streak have just been proven right!
6. Now it appears Jewish groups were targeted by the IRS. I do not have to violate Godwin’s law to say how sensitive that is. By the way, doesn’t it seem all totalitarians just have to beat up on the Joooos? It’s practically required.
Not-so-by-the-way, we know of at least one Romney supporter who was targeted by the IRS and of the Labor Department:
Just months after being slimed by President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign, Mitt Romney supporter and businessman Frank VanderSloot was informed that he was going to be audited not only by the Internal Revenue Service, but by the Labor Department as well.
VanderSloot’s saga was told by columnist Kimberley Strassel in the Wall Street Journal last July.
In April 2012, VanderSloot, who served as the national co-chair of Mitt Romney’s presidential finance committee, was one of eight Romney backers to be defamed as ”wealthy individuals with less-than-reputable records” in a post on the Obama campaign’s website. The post, entitled “Behind the curtain: a brief history of Romney’s donors,” singled out VanderSloot for being a ”litigious, combative and a bitter foe of the gay rights movement.”
Two months later, the IRS informed VanderSloot he and his wife were going to be audited, Strassel reported. Two weeks after that, VanderSloot was notified by the Labor Department that it was going to “audit workers he employs on his Idaho-based cattle ranch under the federal visa program for temporary agriculture workers,” reported Strassel.
Expect more episodes to come to light. More are coming out by the day it seems.
Oh, The Dear Leader Himself joked about auditing opponents back on 2009.
It is not so funny now.
As for fools making excuses for Obama on this, they are going down, too.
It has now come out the targeting has been going on since 2010.
I think a Special Prosecutor is called for. Rats are going to have to be threatened with prison time before they tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Downfall is an ongoing series anticipating and tracking what I expect will be the self-destruction of Obama.