Friday, October 01, 2004

The timeliness of Bible readings (and collects)

I’ve always been one to believe in God’s timing in bringing His word to us. Like my very recent pastor Tommy Nelson has said, God knows what you’re going through, and He knows where you’re going to read in His word. And He can bring the two together to speak straight to you.

I found that again to be the case during my Confirmation Sunday. The Epistle Lesson from Ephesians 3: 13-21 has long been a favorite prayer of mine. And its prayer for strengthening by the Holy Spirit is very appropriate for a confirmation.

I’m beginning to wonder if God uses collects that way as well. The 1928 and REC collects lately (which are the same) seem to focus on asking God to preserve and guide His church – very appropriate as the Anglican Communion waits for the Lambeth Commission report to come out.

No comments: