Tuesday, October 12, 2004

David Crowder rocks! (And so does St. Matthew’s?)

I had some very good, but very different worship music experiences this weekend in Dallas. Among other things, I discovered the David Crowder Band and St. Matthew’s Cathedral.

DCB was the worship band for the Youth Specialties convention I attended. They ROCK with excellent edgy guitars, but they also really helped me worship. David Crowder himself is a sight to see. He’s this skinny guy who is all teeth and glasses and frizzy hair. And he talks in this fast, nervous mumble. He’s great!

Sunday morning, though, I wasn’t real interested in the convention program. But I did want to check out the choral eucharist at St. Matthew’s, Bishop Stanton’s church. He wasn’t there, which is o.k. Dean Michael Mills gave an excellent sermon. He has a unique preaching style and very straightforward way of getting the message across which grew on me.

Most of the sanctuary is quite old and, well, kinda Catholicky – which I liked. There were lots of candles. Most of the stained glass was beautiful with much of it (the green tinted glass) over 100 years old. The stations of the cross were portrayed in stained glass. And there were at least two crucifixes on the wall. The main altar along with the choir is elevated above the congregation.

On the left side I noticed an altar with a picture and statue of Mary. And there was a Marian shrine with candles beside that. I don’t think +Stanton is Anglo-Cath. So I’m curious about that. Both the Mary altar and the main altar were used for Communion.

Those who have stereotyped views of conservatives will be surprised to hear that the congregation was quite multi-cultural. And women played a prominent role in the worship (which made me a little nervous at times, but I’ll discuss that issue some other time.).

Oh yeah, the music. Ooooh, the music! The choir, though not huge, was excellent. And the organist was great, playing with the sort of power I like in a church organ. Sometimes, I had to close my eyes and let the music wash over me. At the same time, the congregational parts were very easy to sing. Heck, I think even I sounded good.

Anyway, very different worship music experiences. But I liked them both. And both helped me worship.

No comments: