Friday, August 27, 2004

Images

Catholic, Orthodox, and many Anglican churches make more use of images, such as icons, crosses, and stained glass, than do most Protestant churches. I like having more images around myself. And I’ve always loved well done stained glass.

And images do help me worship. For example, bowing to the cross during processions at the beginning and end of services helps me worship Christ with the respect and honor due him. Though, I have to admit, it took a few Anglican services before I was comfortable with even that. (Now, I never felt pressured to do that. And some Anglicans bow to the cross and others don’t. But it became something I wanted to do.) And the beauty of artful images adds to the atmosphere of worship, I think.

There is, however, sometimes a nagging question in the back of the mind of this Protestant. When does use of images come too close to idolatry? I think it’s fair to say medieval use of images did cross over to idolatry provoking often violent (over)reactions against them in the Reformation with the defacing and smashing of images.

Here’s an interesting and helpful thread on images over at Pontifications.

And, as always, observations are welcome here as well.

No comments: