Monday, August 09, 2004

Ep******l

In Fr. Montgomery’s letter posted Friday, he mentioned that even the name Ep******l had become a burden to his parish. He wrote (And I apologize for actually spelling out the name in his quote.):

On a local level the name “Episcopal� has become an embarrassment and a point of disgusted comment from outsiders. Though our signs include the word “Episcopal,� this designation has been quietly dropped in conversation.

I’ve noticed he’s not alone with this awkwardness with the name. And some parishes have changed their signs. An orthodox *CUSA parish that I sometimes attend replaced its street direction sign with a nice new one that designates itself as a “parish church.� I think the old sign was one of those ubiquitous “The Ep******l Church welcomes you� signs. Similarly, the church name on the front of its bulletin is now, in full, “The Parish Church of St. David of Wales.� And I’ve read of other orthodox churches taking the name out of their name.

That doesn’t speak well of the Ep******l Church that its name has become a byword to be danced around. I feel it necessary to do some explaining myself when I tell people I’m interested in joining a Reformed Ep******l church. I tell them its not that Ep******l Church.

It’s getting to the point where I think the R*C ought to change its name. I mean . . . Reformed Ep******l – does that designate a church or a 12 step program?

No comments: