Monday, March 09, 2020

“An Autobiography Ghost-written by God”

I’ve now read most of The Oxford History of Anglicanism, Volume 1, Reformation and Identity, c. 1520-1662, edited by Anthony Milton, and I cannot recommend it enough.  It is immensely scholarly with its footnotes and bibliographies already guiding my future studies.  At the same time, it is enjoyable reading with any number of occurrences and statements I do not recall seeing elsewhere.  Yes, a number of these are amusing.  Others are edifying gems.
My only caveat is that someone just now beginning their study of the history of Anglicanism would do well to read a more basic book or two first.  Once one becomes familiar with the basics, The Oxford History of Anglicanism, Volume 1is then a must read.  (I have not read subsequent volumes yet, but intend to.)
One of the gems of this book comes from Jessica Martin in discussing the use of Psalms in early Anglican prayer and devotion:
The typologies of suffering and despair, and likewise of praise and delight, are channeled through the psalms into the salvific narratives of a life narrated via Scripture but unique in its detail: an autobiography ghost-written by God.(p. 406 of the 2019 paperback version)
I’ve long noticed that the Psalms cover just about every situation and emotion in life and can greatly assist prayer as we struggle through life.  I instinctively used the Psalms that way to pray as a teenager.  Later, I wrote a book that so uses the Psalms that way.  (No, I’m not saying what book as I cannot now stand by some of the things I wrote and would write it very differently today.)  And, yes, the Psalms especially cover much of the inward life and sufferings of Christ, so much so that he recited portions on the cross.
But I confess that in my past writings on the Psalms, I did not approach the brilliance of describing the Psalms as “an autobiography ghost-written by God.”  And in the Psalms we do see the joys, struggles, and sufferings of Christ and of his people.  Meditating on the Psalms is perhaps the best way to know that God understands intimately what his people go through – what yougo through.
I can hardly recommend a better Lenten practice than meditating on the Psalms.  And, when it comes to the study of Anglican history, The Oxford History of Anglicanism, Volume 1is hard to beat as well.

No comments: