Wednesday, March 11, 2020

A Good Time for the Litany

The title to this post begs the question: Is there ever a bad time for the Litany? And, yes, I am talking about the traditional Anglican Litany found in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.
Its attitude of penitence and utter dependence is perfect for Lent.  My parish recites the Litany every time we do Morning or Evening Prayer during Lent.  I like singing it best.
I also like praying the Litany during times of particular difficulty, as I have done privately, and now is surely such a time.  And the traditional Litany covers just about every difficulty imaginable. 
Note that I said the traditional Litany.  Some inferior modern versions do not mention plague among other deficiencies.   Yeah, some of you moderns and post-moderns thought prayers for protection from plague were antiquated.  Well, I hope you don’t get sick.  I also hope you feel foolish and add that to your Lenten penitence.
As part of your penitence, follow the godly admonition of Laudable Practice and pray the traditional Litany:
This is a time when we need to be renewed in our dependence upon God's mercy and grace, petitioning for deliverance, seeking blessing upon our common life, beseeching "mercy upon all men", acknowledging how the disordering of our common life requires repentance.  It is not a time for cut-and-paste liturgical resources hesitant about expressing the extent of our need for God's mercy and provision. A serious time needs a serious liturgy and that liturgy is the Litany. 

No comments: