Wednesday, January 22, 2020

My Question About Racism Gets a Good Answer

I am pleased to report that my question to Dr. Esau McCaulley about racism has received an answer, and a satisfactory one.
You may recall that I asked him, “I agree resisting actual racism is important. So tell me: can a U. S. person of color commit ‘actual racism’ against a white person?”
There was some delay, but Dr. McCaulley has answered:
I didn’t know that this was a question. Some claim that racism requires power and therefore Black people can’t be racist. I’m not convinced that such distinctions are helpful. If we’re defining racism as a bias based on skin color then of course anyone can commit that sin.
I’m less concerned with whether the definition of racism has to include power versus whether it’s possible for us to sin against one another and we can. But power + racism is very dangerous.
And I agree.  Of course, I could elaborate and nitpick – I almost always can – but I am pleased with this answer.  I am encouraged that, despite our differences, McCaulley and I have more common ground than I thought might be the case.
Of course, the question remains how some others in ACNA and in Big Evangelicalism would answer my humble question.  And the woke redefinition of “racism,” “diversity” and other words sadly makes such questions necessary.  Nonetheless, I rejoice in a good answer today.

No comments: