Monday, February 15, 2016

Trump’s Bush Derangement Syndrome

The subject of how ugly Trump has to get before he loses voters has been a subject of much speculation and wonder.  We may find out soon because he really got ugly during last Saturday night’s Republican Debate.  Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten so angry at Trump before.

During his, um, performance, he interrupted again and again and again, and he created the color Trump Orange, by the way.  But most importantly, he revealed he has a serious and uncured case of Bush Derangement Syndrome, particularly during this segment:


It turns out Trump’s BDS is nothing new.  He was one of the loons advocating the impeachment of W.  From a 2008 interview:


BLITZER: [What do you think of] Nancy Pelosi, the speaker?

TRUMP: Well, you know, when she first got in and was named speaker, I met her. And I’m very impressed by her. I think she’s a very impressive person. I like her a lot.

But I was surprised that she didn’t do more in terms of Bush and going after Bush. It was almost — it just seemed like she was going to really look to impeach Bush and get him out of office, which, personally, I think would have been a wonderful thing.

BLITZER: Impeaching him?

TRUMP: Absolutely, for the war, for the war.


Now, in addition to being both laughable and outrageous, Trump’s BDS may have political consequences.  For many Republicans and Independents, even those who do not want another Bush as President and who are critical of the presidency of GWB, are completely turned off by Bush Derangement Syndrome.

I am a pretty good example of that.  I do not think GWB’s presidency was a good one.  He did cut taxes and protect the country.  But he did little to nothing to slow spending or shrink government or even to slow it’s growth.  And he did pave the wave for Obama.  Further, I am fed up with the Republican establishment and will not vote for another Bush, period.

At the same time, those who say Bush was somehow responsible for 9-11 or who prate “Bush lied, kids died” really get my dander up.  I consider such sentiments worthy only of nuts and Leftists.  (But I repeat myself.)  And there is NO way I will vote for someone who repeats those tired, insane lines.

Thus Trump has likely alienated many of the anti-establishment voters he is trying to get.  He has gone beyond the boundaries of what many Republican and Republican-leaning voters find acceptable.

Therefore, I would not be surprised if South Carolina proves to be Trump’s Waterloo.


As always, we shall see.

No comments: