Thursday, February 12, 2004

I have some explainin' to do, so I might as well get started.

What the hey is a "WannabeAnglican"?

It's something I made up.
You see, I've never been an Anglican. In fact, I didn't even pay much attention to Anglicans until recent years. But now I find myself attracted to Anglicanism while at the same time there are issues that would complicate my becoming an Anglican. You'll hear a lot about those issues in due time. But some of those issues have to do with me being a square peg. You'll hear about that, too.

So why are you doing this blog and why should I spend my valuable internet time here?

Where I am in my strange life puts me at a number of cross currents in the church today. For one thing, I'm a conservative Christian who finds himself attracted to worldwide Anglicanism at the very time when it's questionable whether the Anglican Communion can stick together.
And that's just for starters. I feel like Forrest Gump sometimes. I keep unwittingly finding myself in interesting times. It started even in high school, when I asked a question about the Panama Canal Treaty of George Bush the elder when he was U.N. Ambassador. In high school, I also got to ask Francis Schaeffer a question in a very large forum. Later on, I was right smack in the middle of what was then the most expensive U.S. Senate campaign ever, Helms-Hunt in 1984. Still later, I found myself joking with Oliver North and laughing at his dead-on Ross Perot imitation. I could go on and on. I don't say this to brag, because there's nothing to brag about. For some reason, God in his wisdom (and humor?) keeps putting me in interesting places.

And now, it's happening again, as I search for a church and find myself attracted to Anglicanism at the very time that the Anglican Communion is in crisis.

No comments: