Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Book for St. Benedict’s Day


This year, the Feast of St. Benedict has special meaning for me.  A few weeks ago, I spent about three days at the Benedictine Monastery of Christ in the Desert.  It was a very restful, enjoyable, and edifying time that God is still using in my life.  And I do intend to go back.

(By the way, my apologies for not posting on my visit.  I thought I did for some reason.  Probably I so much intended to that I thought I did so without actually doing so.  Anyway, there are, however, some photos I took on my tumblr.)

Since then, I’ve been reading a short book, Monk Habits for Everyday People, which is written by a Protestant, namely Dennis Okholm, for Protestants. In fact, a Baptist, of all people, recommended the book to me.  I will have to thank him! 

The book gleans the Rule of St. Benedict and Benedictine practice for wisdom in everyday Christian living. I haven’t quite finished it yet, but I find it very well written, very readable, and yet profound, particularly the chapters on humility, much emphasized in the Rule, and stability.  Do be prepared to be nudged gently to self-examination as I certainly have.

I could go into more detail.  But it would be better if you get the book.  As you can tell, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

No comments: