Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I Corinthians 13 and Preparation for Lent

I know I am repeating myself in saying so, but I appreciate the wisdom of the traditional lectionary in having 1 Corinthians 13 read on Quinquagesima, the Sunday before Lent.

I cannot think of better preparation for Lent than a reflective reading of that famous chapter. For, point by point, it reveals aspects of godly love of which we all fall far short. For those wondering what traits to work on for Lent, 1 Corinthians 13 is a veritable catalogue for penitence.

With not a little trepidation, I intend to examine myself through the lens of that chapter. Feel free to bravely join me in that . . . to examine yourself, not me, that is.

By the way, Fr. Robert Hart’s Quinquagasima sermon this year is an excellent examination of the traditional English rendering, “charity.” I’ve oft dismissed that word as an unfortunate Elizabethan translation, but Fr. Hart says not so.

No comments: