Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Is Orange a Liturgical Color?

My parish has this orange trim in the sanctuary that is oh-so seventies. I have repeatedly informed my fellow parishioners that orange is not a liturgical color.

Or is it?

I’ve come across this photo of none other than TEC PB Katharine Schori wearing a very orange chasuble. No, I don’t think she’s saying, “Give me a ‘T’!!”

(By the way, laziness is not the only reason I’m not putting the photo itself on my blog. I don’t want to traumatize my good readers. Click the link above at your own risk if liturgical abominations disturb you.)

Now if you’re thinking that’s just Purple Haze and therefore not the best example, I’ll have you know I saw a photo of the Archbishop of Canterbury himself wearing orange in Christianity Today (p. 77 in the April 07 issue). Unfortunately, I have not been able to find this photo online.

So, is orange a liturgical color? If so, why?

No comments: