Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Day 16: First afternoon in London

Well, I’m off to a good start in London, though a bit shakey . . . literally. I’ve been nervous at times since I got here, and I’m not sure why. Probably a combination of things.

I walked over to Westminster (Catholic) Cathedral to get a music list. But once there, I walked about. I was very impressed. Especially considering it was built in the late 19th century (not a good century in my opinion), it was done very creatively, with a lot of taste, and without a lot of Victorianism or obnoxious Modernism, thanks be to God . . . or whatever the Catholics say.

Then I just walked around, mainly in St. James Park. It was relaxing. And it was fun to see all the birds and animals expect to be fed. I even saw a squirrel eat out of someone’s hands. If London gets on your nerves, St. James Park is a good place to go. And take some food if you like to feed birds. (I just told them, “What? You expect ME to feed YOU?”)

Well, I’m about to meet some online acquaintances at a pub. It will be a bittersweet (and maybe awkward) occasion because one of their friends just suddenly died at only 27. If you see this in the next hour or two, pray for us and our time.


Tidbit: I just found out it’s supposed to be colder in Corpus Christi than here the next couple days.

No comments: