Thursday, September 30, 2004

Confirmation Report

Now that I finally have adequate internet access, here's more on the confirmation.

First, for Morning Prayer, Bishop Sutton chose to be part of the congregation. He went up front only to give the absolution. Both the rector and assistant rector officiated. Usually just one leads Morning Prayer.

Bishop Sutton taught during the Sunday School time. I intend to post more on what he said then and during his Saturday mini-seminar on the Anglican Communion and the Reformed Episcopal Church later.

A tat report has been requested. I hate to disappoint those with Anglo-Cath tendencies, but there wasn't much tat. They did burn the Paschal Candle during both Morning Prayer and Holy Communion. Is that customary for a bishop's visitation? The liturgical color of the morning was definitely red, including roses around the altar. And, most disappointing, the bishop didn't use a mitre. I guess they don't pack well. His vestments were nice, though, without being ostentacious. I don't yet have the Anglican vocabulary to describe them well.

I, however, wore my charcoal pinstripe suit with a thin black tie and black shoes I shined myself. You'll see that about as often as a Baptist wearing lace vestments.

For Holy Communion itself, the assistant rector celebrated and the bishop gave the sermon. Special music was used. Providence Church has an excellent young violinist who was confirmed with me. He played both before and after the service from the balcony by the organ. The opening processional hymn was St. Patrick's Breastplate, I'm fairly sure -- definitely different than I'm used to. At the end, a flute wafted over the congregation immediately after the blessing -- a nice effect.

Confirmation occurred after the Gospel. The bishop sat in the bishop's chair between the altar rails. We stood at the altar rails. And the congregation stood as well. The rector read the introduction, then the bishop did the rest. One by one, we kneeled in front of the bishop for the laying on of hands and the prayer.

The confirmation rite was from the REC prayer book. It's similar to, but longer than the 1928 rite. I may go over the differences at a later time. But the biggest differences are the REC has the candidates affirming the Apostle's Creed, saying "All this I steadfastly believe."? And the candidates then renounce "the devil and all his works."?

As I mentioned yesterday, the only emotion I noticed in myself during all this was joy. But the Lord's Prayer, which comes immediately after the laying on of hands, welled up such emotion in me that I could barely recite it.

After the service, there was a reception with really good confirmation cake. But I got some icing on my certificate! I guess confirmation doesn't cure clumsiness.

No comments: