Friday, April 02, 2004

Infant Baptismal Regeneration II

I’ve been in e-mail discussions with a rector I respect and have been doing a bit of reading and . . . now, don’t get too excited, my Anglican friends, but . . . now you can color me confused on the subject of infant baptism.

I still see problems with the Anglican view of infant baptism, but I understand it better and see there’s a persuasive Biblical case that can be made for it. And I see there are problems with my believer’s baptism view. I will do more reading and study, including a Bible word study on baptism. But I’m not at all sure I’ll come to a final view on the subject. I see the problems with both sides as quite thorny.

I do respect infant baptism more now. And since, like a good Anglican, I give weight to tradition, I have to consider that those who don’ t practice infant baptism are definitely in the minority, both now and historically.

I am glad to hear from the rector that my views shouldn’t be a problem in joining an Anglican church since I have an attitude of not raising a stink about differences on non-essential theological issues. Moreover, I think he enjoys vigorous theological discussion and would enjoy having me around.

That’s good since it’s very possible I’ll end up joining his parish.

No comments: