Thursday, May 14, 2020

This Year We Really Need Rogation Days

When I was a new Anglican, I had no idea what Rogation Days were.  Some youth in the church and I speculated that it was the time of the church year when the pates of bald men were anointed with Rogaine accompanied with solemn prayers for hair growth.

I have since learned that it had more to do with prayers for the growth of crops.  But now, thanks to Amada McGill, I have also learned that the practice began in the aftermath of natural disaster.

Dating back to 470 AD, Archbishop Mamertus instituted the Rogation Days – the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday before Ascension Day – after a period of natural disasters had ravaged the people of Vienne, France. He proclaimed days of fasting and processions of prayer around the freshly-sprouted fields, asking God for mercy in the growth of the crops. 

My Massey Shepherd American Prayer Book Commentary further informs that in England a church council later adopted the Rogation Days in 747.  The Church of Rome adopted the practice during the reign of Leo III (795-816)

Going back to Archbishop Mamertus, does not the circumstances and motives of his institution sound familiar?  Natural disasters followed by the need for economic recovery and the restoration of food supply?

Us traditional Anglicans are not much into revivals.  But I contend this year is a time for a revival of Rogation Days, particularly the supplications thereof.

I’ve never prayed the Litany during Rogationtide, but I intend so to do next week.  I might even fast a bit, too.  McGill’s piece has other practices as well although I do not recommend a revival of beating boys with switches.

Nonetheless in our current time of calamity and need, let us use the Rogation Days next week for heightened supplication for God’s mercies.

No comments: