Thursday, December 26, 2019

Daniel Hyde Makes His Mark On Nine Lessons and Carols (and on the BBC)

This year’s Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College Cambridge on Christmas Eve was the first under the new Director of Music Daniel Hyde. And he certainly was not shy about leaving his mark on the famous service.
Further, some of the millions listening around the world may have thought him more mad or presumptuous than courageous as more than one of the carol arrangements were very different than in years past.  As I listened while driving on a road trip, I strongly disapproved of one or two rearrangements while I thought I could eventually get used to one or two others.  Still one must marvel at Hyde’s bravery, especially given that this is his first year.
Fortunately, during the latter half or so of the service any changes in the carols were subtle, and I found myself able to enjoy the service again.
Having said that, there was one significant change towards the end I much admire – unless I miscounted, the choir sang all the verses of O Come All Ye Faithful as the Baby Jesus intends.  I cannot recall that happening during the years I’ve been listening.  Now, as most of you know, that makes it a rather long hymn, and the service went longer than scheduled – or at least longer than the BBC scheduled.  It was as if Daniel Hyde was showing the BBC who’s boss!
In turn, on BBC World Service at least, the BBC cut off the live broadcast of the service in the midst of the last hymn, Hark the Herald Angels Sing.  Yes, very foolish and ungodly of them.  Boos and other imprecations surely arose from around the world.
In any case, it made for an eventful Christmas Eve drive and part of a Christmas I will always fondly remember.
I hope you had and will have (for Christmas lasts until Epiphany, you know) a very happy Christmas as well.

No comments: