Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Lectionary, God’s Providence, and Harvey

Back in my very non-Anglican days, I heard my favorite Bible teacher, whom I’m still a fan of, Tommy Nelson of Denton Bible Church note that God knows where you are going to read in the Bible, and he knows what you are going through in life.  And he can bring the two together to speak right to you.

Well, I have seen the Lord do that with the Lectionary.  This past Sunday, the 10th Sunday after Trinity, I intended to teach a group from 1 Corinthians 12.  Some of the group goes to my REC parish, so I usually check what the readings at church are to see if they go with something I will teach.  And I saw that Epistle for Holy Communion was from . . . 1 Corinthians 12.  I guess I wasn’t the only one who wanted 1 Corinthians 12 taught!

Today, I woke up early and ill at ease due the overnight ominous forecast changes concerning now Hurricane Harvey.  I decided to do my Morning Prayer early.  With it being St. Bartholomew’s Day the assigned Psalm was 91.  And that turned out to be the perfect Psalm for me to read.  I would practically have to quote the whole psalm to tell how it comforted me and encouraged me.  God in his good providence definitely used the lectionary in a gracious way this morning.


By the way, do pray for us near the Texas coast.  I intend to pray the Litany in the morning myself.

No comments: