The Holy Orders Task Force has released their report. ACNA Archbishop Foley Beach has sent out a letter along with it with the following admonition:
Please note the following:
• The Task Force was not commissioned to resolve the issue, but was asked to develop resources to help the bishops in future conversation on this topic.
• Therefore the report does not answer the questions of what the College is to do, but it is a study presented to the College to help the College in our discussions.
• The report does not change our current practice regarding women’s orders as stated in our Constitution. Our current practice allows each diocese to determine whether it will ordain women as deacons or priests.
• The report will now be sent to the GAFCON Primates for their input and guidance for our discussions.
• The College of Bishops will now be studying the whole report, and we will meet in special session later in the year to discuss how we move forward together.
As your Archbishop, I ask the following from you:
1) Don’t comment on the report until you have read it all.
2) Don’t comment on the report until you can fairly articulate the opposite point of view.
3) Remember that no decisions have been made at this time to pursue changing our Constitution.
4) Remember that we are all followers of Jesus Christ on mission together, holding those with the opposite point of view in Christian love and charity.
5) Lastly, sincerely pray for your bishops as we seek to serve Jesus Christ in this matter.
That first request is a big ask. The report is 318 pages. But I intend to abide by my Archbishop’s request. For all of ACNA so to do will take a miracle.
Both the report and the Archbishop’s letter may be found here.