Thursday, August 26, 2004

The culture wars of the Sixties continue . . . and continue and . . .

David Broder has a perceptive column out stating that the battle over Kerry’s and Bush’s Vietnam service are part of the continuing baby boomer culture wars that began in the Sixties.

I think he’s right. And I understand the animosity among those who were in the middle of the Sixties.

I’m in something of a no man’s land myself. I’m maybe at the very tail end of the Baby Boom, but am too young to have much in common with other baby boomers. Yet I’m too old to be Generation X. But I’m glad I didn’t come of age in the Sixties. First of all, I would be even older than I am, of course. But also I would have ended up alienated from my own generation.

For I find the actions of the hippies and the left in the Sixties despicable (if at times comical). Getting strung out on drugs, chanting for Communists, etc. Count me out. But I don’t relate to the values of the Fifties, and suspect I might not have had too much in common with children of the Fifties, either. However Bill Clinton fits in among boomers, I know I despise him. So it’s probably best that I did not grow up among them.

In any case, I fully understand how there is still alienation among baby boomers from the divisions of the Sixties. Even when I went to college ten years later, the divisions rooted in the Sixties were still sharp and deeply felt among many students -- including this one.

No comments: