Tuesday, August 06, 2019

A Good Summary History of Recent Southern Baptist Social Justice Troubles

Many of my readers, especially the Anglican ones, may be like me – I was slow to notice the struggles in the Southern Baptist Convention over social justice issues.  A year ago it wasn’t on my radar at all.
For us, Matthew Garnett has performed a public service with a good summary history of recent divisions among Baptists over “social justice.” I commend it to you.
I do have one quibble, however.  Garnett goes a bit easy on Albert Mohler:
Mohler was repeatedly clear that politically leftist ideologies such as critical theory, identity politics, and any other notion of postmodern, neo-Marxism have no place in the church of Jesus Christ, even as “analytical tools.”
But when that “analytical tools” Resolution 9 came to the floor of the Southern Baptist Convention and his voice was most needed, Mohler was silent.  In that and other ways, he has been an enabler of the SBC social justice cabal.
Probably he is trying to keep the SBC together.  But his enabling is helping bring Southern Baptists closer to division. 

No comments: