Monday, June 03, 2019

About That Russell Moore Immigration Video

I’ll be honest – when I began watching Russell Moore’s latest on immigration, I braced myself for a rise in blood pressure.  And my temper may have blipped up for a moment when he engaged in his usual practice of turning opponents into straw men and visa versa.
But he only did that briefly and not as obnoxiously as he has in the past.  And he actually made some good points and was somewhat balanced.  He even proclaimed, “Borders are Biblical.” Further, he put that front and center in the accompanying tweet.
 
Now I do not find his video particularly profound.  But it certainly is an improvement on his past videos and podcasts on topics dear to the “social justice” crowd.  And (I can hardly believe I am saying this.), his video finds more common ground with those wanting to crack down on illegal immigration than it does inflame them.
But see what you think.  I think the best way to watch the video is with Jon Harris’ balanced analysis of it.
Reflecting further on this video, I wonder if Moore has decided to seek to find more common ground with politically conservative and/or Trumpist faithful instead of smearing and alienating them.  Yes, wishing thinking perhaps.  But one can hope.
Since he is a keynote speaker at the ACNA Provincial Assembly, we may find out in about two weeks.

No comments: