Monday, December 31, 2018

A New Year, Time, Academics, and me

2018 was an auspicious one for me, particularly for my studies.  I finally converted my efforts into a post-graduate piece of paper, a Certificate of Anglican Studies from Cranmer House – a demanding program I highly recommend. And I spent the Michaelmas Term independently studying in Oxford, using Pusey House as a base – and what an excellent base it was.  Being a part of the life of Pusey House really made my time in Oxford.  (And, yes, preaching a sermon there was a highlight of my year.)  I cannot recommend Pusey House enough as community of faith, fellowship, and scholarship.
Now I have embarked on applying my studies, not that I have not applied them already and not that my studies won’t continue.  But I am not seeking further certificates or degrees.  While at Pusey House, conversing with different students and their plans, I inwardly regretted not getting a handle on what I wanted to do academically sooner.  I heard a plan or two that sounded like a good fit for me years ago.  But now I am at an age where I realize my earthly time and energy is very limited.  And I think spending further years earning degrees would be unwise – how much time and energy would I have left once I spent years earning another degree or two?
Thus 2019 will more or less be the first full year of applying my studies.  I will venture to see if this man of some learning can make good use of his learning without prestigious degrees to back it up.  Many have done just that, particularly in the 19thcentury and before, but how well can it done now?

If there is a bright side to the decline of most universities today, it is that their pieces of paper are not as well regarded, not as credible as in the recent past.  Therefore, I expect what one actually produces with one’s learning will become more examined.  Men and women of learning will be judged more by that.  I am going to find out anyway.
Not that I will necessarily write for an academic audience although I might.  I intend to speak and write to a broader audience, particularly to further the education and edification of the church.  On a small scale, I have a few sermons and lectures coming up along those lines already.
Yes, given that I do not have the usual degrees (although I have studied more than many who do have them), my ambition is a bit bold.  But even if you think me slightly foolish, do pray for wisdom, creativity, and energy in putting my past and continuing studies to good use to the glory of God and for the good of His Holy Church.

Thank you.

P. S. Although I am not a New Year’s Resolution kind of guy, I do have one – to post legitimate comments faster.  Sorry for my recent negligence.

No comments: