Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Some Semi-Friendly Advice to the United Methodists

The United Methodists are not my cup of tea.  But I have to admit they are not going to Gehenna quite as fast as the “mainline” Presbyterians and Episcopalians.  Hey, I give credit where credit is due.

Yes, I am unusually magnanimous this morning.  So here’s some friendly advice for the United Methodists – close your D. C. office post haste.

The world’s lone Jewish state must be singled out for punitive divestment campaigns, while we should at the same time promote economic investment in North Korea, whose government has done absolutely nothing in the area of human rights worthy of specific criticism. And we should take our broad support for sex outside of marriage one step further by advocating to legalize prostitution.

This was the moral vision offered by our United Methodist Church’s apportionment-funded D.C. lobby office, the General Board of Church and Society (GBCS) at its Spring 2015 board of directors meeting.

I will spare the sordid details.  I will just say decades ago, an important factor that pushed me out of the “mainline” Presbyterian Church were its outrageous public policy pronouncements.  At the very least, they alerted me that something was very wrong with my denomination. 

One of the surest ways to shrink your church is to issue poison such as that coming from the UM’s Washington office.

Methodists, you know what to do.  Close it.  Now.

---

A hat tip to Christopher Johnson, whose title captures what the D. C. Office is doing to the United Methodist Church.

No comments: