Friday, June 13, 2014

About the New REC Presiding Bishop

As I’ve mentioned, the Reformed Episcopal Church in General Council has chosen a new Presiding Bishop this week, the Most Rev. Royal U. Grote.

For some years Bishop Grote has been the Bishop of my parish.  So most years, we have been privileged to be visited by him.  On occasion, I’ve gotten to host him in my home.

I can testify that he is an easy, adaptable and very sociable guest. I’ve long noticed he is approachable and full of good conversation.  He has told me a fun story or two I dare not repeat here!

He is an engaging teacher who delights in digging out nuggets from scripture and from history.  He is both gentle and straight-spoken.

I have noticed that he seems not to be a great fan of blogs at times, which is understandable.  But that has not kept him from being very affable with this blogger.

I could go on.  But the General Council has chosen well as just about anyone in the Reformed Episcopal Church can testify.  Royal Grote is a good man and an excellent bishop, now Presiding Bishop.

I cannot conclude without commending to you the report to General Council of the outgoing Presiding Bishop, the Most Rev. Leonard Riches.  It is moving and profound.

No comments: