Monday, March 31, 2014

Jeremiah Denton RIP

I have a lot on my plate this Monday morning, but I must note the passing of Jeremiah Denton last week* at age 89.  This man was hero to me during my college days as he became a U. S. Senator in 1980.

But he is more known for his conduct as a POW during the Vietnam War.  He was a special target of the North Vietnamese’ unspeakable tortures.  But not only did he not break, not only did he remain resolute in defiance of his Communist tormenters, it was he who cleverly alerted the World that the North Vietnamese were torturing POWs by blinking his eyes in Morse Code T-O-R-T-U-R-E during a televised interview the Communists had intended to use for propaganda.

He endured his worst torture session after the North Vietnamese became aware he had exposed them.

Jeremiah Denton was a man of deep Christian faith which sustained him during his torments and motivated him to both private and public service after his release.

May this great hero rest in peace and rise in glory.
-----


*NOTE: Please know that I would have posted earlier on this but I only became aware yesterday of Sen. Denton’s demise.

No comments: