Tuesday, February 17, 2009

++Cormac Bans Archbishop from Saying Latin Mass at Westminster Cathedral

This news floors me. I knew Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor was no fan of the Latin Mass. But banning Archbishop Burke, a close ally of Pope Benedict and a likely future cardinal, from saying the traditional mass at Westminster Cathedral? That seems gratuitously hostile and incredibly stupid. Why such a willful alienation of traditionalists and of perhaps the Pope himself?

I just don’t get it. If I’m missing something, my readers are most welcome to enlighten me.

By the way, Cardinal George Pell, a “formidable” no-nonsense traditionalist (of whom I’ve long been a fan), will be celebrating Latin Vespers and giving a lecture in Oxford on March 5th and 6th. That now has become that much more interesting.

I’m tempted to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well folks,
If I was The Holy Father, I would sack The Cardinal on the spot for being disobedient period. Maybe The Holy Father will send The Cardinal somewhere to retirement. Siberia perhaps?
Pax,
+Stonewall