Thursday, March 20, 2008

Gorbachev’s Faith and God’s Providence

After his visit to the tomb of St. Francis, it appears the last Soviet Union President, Mikhail Gorbachev, is a Christian.

This comment from Peter Robinson is particularly interesting:

Whenever Ronald Reagan would mention his suspicion that Mikhail Gorbachev was a secret believer, everyone on the White House staff would scoff, thinking the president naive. When I had the opportunity to speak to Gorbachev a couple of years ago, however, I found myself concluding that Reagan had been onto something after all. Why, I asked, had Gorbachev refrained from putting down the revolution of 1989, just as Khrushchev had put down the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 and Brezhnev had put down the Prague Spring of 1968? "Because of something I shared with Ronald Reagan," Gorbachev replied. "Christian morality."

God was behind the peaceful bringing down of the Iron Curtain and of the old Soviet Union more than we knew.

No comments: