Monday, January 14, 2008

Hilary Term in Oxford

Today is St. Hilary’s Day. Hence Hilary Term has begun in Oxford. And I’m glad not to be there.

Yes, I know. I’m missing the lovely English weather and the short rainy days. I’m missing seemingly endless academic work. But I like my life here in South Texas better for some reason.

Well, maybe I’m not that glad not to be there. I do miss times with friends made last year, particularly the stimulating conversations over meals at Pusey House. And I miss the wonderful services there and elsewhere in Oxford.

To go to a dark candlelit chapel in the gloomy night, say at New College or Magdalen, to sit quietly in preparation for Choral Evensong, then to worship assisted by the bright voices of one of the best choirs in the world -- there’s nothing like it. And I do miss it.

No comments: