Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hallelujah for Christ Church!

Yes, I know. I haven’t been posting much. So I figured I’d let you all know I’m having a good time. And my studies are going well. Heck, my first draft of my big paper is almost done.

But a lot of my experience is the sort of thing where you have to be there. A blog entry so fails to capture it that it often seems pointless to post.

Having said that, Christ Church had an Open Day yesterday, and it was excellent. If you happen to be in Oxford when they do this, you must go. They had parts of the college open that are normally off limits, such as the cathedral gardens and the Upper Library with tons of OLD books. (For those who are confused, Christ Church Oxford is both a college and a cathedral.)

And it was spectacular weather. It was crowded, but that’s to be expected.

Speaking of crowds, Evensong was packed out. I was directed to this odd seat in the ambulatory behind a column but behind the choir as well. So it was actually a good seat with an unusual view. In fact, I was just below and behind the choir director’s seat.

The choir played to the crowd somewhat by doing the Hallelujah Chorus. It was excellent. It got me pumped! And, yes, the boys actually did hit those very high notes well. I was wondering if they were able to do that.

I ended up spending most of the day at Christ Church. It was a great Open Day that left me happy.

No comments: