Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lambeth Invitations Going Out

Invitations to Lambeth are going out.

The talk is that +Minns and –Robinson won’t be invited, but that practically everyone else will.

I hesitate to comment much before more details come out. Plus I am, to be honest, quite ticked off about this. So take the following as a FWIW and subject to change.

+++Rowan says, “At this point, and with the recommendations of the Windsor Report particularly in mind, I have to reserve the right to withhold or withdraw invitations from bishops whose appointment, actions or manner of life have caused exceptionally serious division or scandal within the Communion.”

If he’s going to follow his own words then he should disinvite many more than just two or three bishops. If the actions of Schori and company haven’t caused “exceptionally serious division or scandal within the Communion” then I don’t know what it is.

Or maybe apostasy and persecution of the faithful has become par for the course and isn’t “exceptional” anymore.

But for these years of reports, meetings, and communiqués to result in no discipline would be a grave disappointment, a betrayal really.

And to undercut Bishop Minns and to undermine his parishes as they are being sued by the Episcopal Church would be despicable. Is Rowan Williams going to be complicit in persecuting North American Anglican faithful?

I’ll probably say more in due time. Right now I’m so disgusted, I don’t trust myself to say much now.


UPDATE: +Minns, CANA, AMiA, and the Gayest Gay Bishopare indeed not invited.

I guess providing a safe place for orthodox Anglicans is an intolerable enormity in the Anglican Communion now, causing “exceptionally serious division or scandal.”

If that’s the case, you can imagine what I’m beginning to think of the Anglican Communion and of Canterbury.

No comments: