Monday, February 28, 2005

The collect for the third Sunday in Lent

We beseech thee, Almighty God, look upon the hearty desires of thy humble servants, and stretch forth the right hand of thy Majesty, to be our defence against all our enemies, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

This collect means a lot to me this week. A big “hearty desire” of mine almost since I became a Christian is that my life make a difference and have purpose in fulfilling God’s purposes for it.

But as I reflected yesterday morning while getting ready to go to church, there have been long stretches, too long stretches, where I’ve strove to do something with my life, but floundered. As I looked back, I considered much of my life lost years.

Perhaps I’m too hard on myself, but I was getting down thinking about it. But God reminded of some things he’s doing in my life now to use me, and he got my spirits up. And largely because of that, it was a special Sunday for me.

Anyway, I know first hand how enemies, whether they be the flesh, the world, and the devil, or just our weakness, can keep us from fulfilling our “hearty desires,” especially our desire to serve Him, to fulfill His purposes for us, and to make a difference.

We are, I am, too weak to do anything lasting and good without His power thwarting those various enemies that would turn our lives into a waste.

So indeed, Almighty God, look upon the hearty desires of Thy humble servants, and stretch forth the right hand of Thy Majesty. . .

No comments: