Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Am I Still a Wannabe Anglican?

My confirmation begs the question: Am I still a wannabe Anglican? Or am I the real thing now?

Different people would have different answers. I know some would not consider me Anglican until I’m in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury. And that hasn’t happened, although it’s not out of the realm of possibility. Others might find my Anglicanism suspect because I don’t smoke and drink sherry.

I do consider myself Anglican now, however. I believe the creeds and over 95% of the 39 Articles. I’m in agreement with and even love Anglican worship and practice. And now I have joined a Continuing Anglican church. I’ve even made the point of being confirmed by a bishop in the apostolic succession (as Reformed Episcopal bishops are) even though the polity of the church I joined did not at all require that. (A transfer of membership suffices in the REC.)

In some ways, I’m still a wannabe Anglican, though. I want to be part of the Anglican Communion, or at least a worldwide orthodox Anglican communion much larger than the Reformed Episcopal Church (And so do REC leaders I suspect.). Being a part of something larger than just my local or national church is one desire that lead me to Anglicanism.

Taken altogether, it’s probably most accurate to say I’m a Newbie Anglican.

But I don’t want to change the web site address. I might play games with the blog title though.

No comments: