Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Having just found out about the Ohio confirmations yesterday, here’s some initial gut reactions from the beach:

My only real problem with the confirmations by bishops from outside the liberal Ohio diocese is the timing. I think they should have waited until after the ECUSA defines its policy on AEO. But since the ECUSA has shown no sign that it would heed the Primates October 2003 call for Adequate Episcopal Oversight for dissenting conservatives, I may be nit-picking. (Yes, there is an ECUSA draft policy. “Adequate� it’s not.)

Other than that, my reaction is . . . YEAAAAH!

I’m so happy to see the Bishop of Brazil and a number of Senior (retired) U. S. bishops put their names on the line and support dissenting parishes. I think this confirmation (with more to come it’s been reported) sends the Lambeth Commission a firm message that there must be genuine realignment across diocese lines. And I think the odds for needed realignment just got better.

I think it also encourages conservatives across North America. This makes more tangible that there are more than a few bishops who are on our side. And that support is far more than just words. Heck, I’m encouraged now that maybe there will be a real realignment that either enables me to join the Anglican Communion or an orthodox Global South version of it. (A recent statement by the Bishop of West Texas (the diocese I’m moving into) that his diocese should under no condition leave the ECUSA tempers that hope, however. More on that to come.)

And maybe I’m just happy to see conservatives stand up and defy apostate liberal authority. I guess that’s my rebellious streak talking.

The liberal bishops had it coming to them. They abused their authority to subvert the authority of scripture, of tradition, and of the Primates of the Anglican Communion. They were asking for it.

Yet ++Griswold and company are now oh-so indignant about conservatives defying their abuse of authority. The hypocrisy is absurd.

I might have more to say later although the various Anglican blogs (a few of which are linked to the right) will probably have said it all before I get home.

No comments: